Tuesday, September 03, 2002

3 is the magic number

Today I came in and a big interoffice envelope was on my chair. I thought: is it benefit sign up time, already? But NO.. it’s a package all about Employee Appreciation Week which is at the end of Sept. In it there is tons of information on how we can have a bulletin board that lists employee accomplishments and tells us we can have a party (with balloons!)… like an ice cream social b/c it “shows appreciation through a universal medium - food!”. But the best part is the book: 301 More Ways to Have Fun at Work (note: we never got the first 301 Ways book). Wow.. my morale is soaring now. I don’t know why they think treating us like we are 5 will make us feel valued. Perhaps actually rewarding good work might be rewarding (gasp!). And the worse part is, whenever they pull stuff like this it’s usually followed a few months later by bad news.. like layoffs, or no raises or bonus reduction. Yeah, an ice cream social really makes up for that. I guess I should be grateful to have my job since so many people don’t have that luxury. So I’ll just keep telling myself: I do like my job, I do like my job, I do like my job..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home