Friday, November 10, 2006

What We Have Here is A Failure to Communicate

Yesterday I was on the phone with a male co-worker discussing our current project. He was asking me if I had updated a document and I've got so many things going on, I literally couldn't remember if I'd done made the changes. Then this conversation happens:

Me: I remember thinking about making the change, but I don't think I did. Let me open it up and check.
{ I scan through the document }
Me: OH! I'm a big fat liar.. I DID make the changes.
Him: You're not fat.
{ I have spotted a typo and zoom in to focus on fixing that when.. suddenly I realize what he said }
Me: What?!
Him: You said you're fat and you're not
Me: I didn't say I was fat! I said my lie was fat.
Him: All the same, you're not fat.
Me: Let's move on..

At the time I thought: that is wacky, but now that I've had time to think about it more I'm all over the map about it. Because I'm over-analytical I have many issues.

A. What?
B. How is it possible some one could misinterpret what I said?
C. I know if I'm fat or not fat. I don't need him to tell me that.
D. If I did think I were fat, do you think I would actually say I thought I was fat?
E. If the answer to D is yes, wouldn't I be some pathetic low self-esteem person trying to fish for someone to tell me I'm not fat.
F. Is that what he thinks? I'm going to kick his skinny butt!
G. Most of all, I think I'm insulted at this what I think was really a thinly veiled attempt at flattery. Does he think I'm that simple? Does he think I need that kind of boosting up? Do I come across as that needy? Why would he chose that as a compliment? I mean: would he say that to a guy? I don't think so. I'm really going to kick his skinny ass!

Or maybe I just think too much. Upon further reflection I think it should just be filed in the "dumb things guys sometimes say when they are trying to be nice" file.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home