Monday, March 12, 2007

Comminication Breakdown

Friday afternoon at 4pm (when I'm at lowest of my brainiac powers), my tech lead phones me.

Him: Um, um, um. I've got a bunch of things to discuss with you, but, um... right now, um, I've only got time for one of them.

Me: {sigh} Ok, let's have the one.

Him: Well, he, no... actually.. I'll discuss two things.

Me: Alright.

Him: ok, first... I spoke to Joe this morning who had a a day off today...while he was driving... to another state... to see his family.

Me: {sweet jesus! he doesn't have time for more than 1 topic, but he has time to tell me all that detail?} And??

Him: he needs to circle back with you on a few things in order to close these issues?

Me: so the update is you spoke to Joe in his car and the issue is not really resolved. Ok, what is #2?

Him: Ok, I've got to run a scenario by you. If you take ARCKY and then create a FARCKY and then someone edits the FIARKY..

Me: WO! What are you talking about? Are you speaking in Pig Latin?

Him: oh {tee hee hee}, me and the developers came up with our own acronyms for some things. We've had quite a good time of it!

Me: Whatever gets you through the day. However, since I don't know your acronyms I can't follow your you.

Him: ok, well the acronyms are... {he then blurts out about 8 different acronyms all of which sound very similar}.

Me: {is this guy serious?}

Him: so If you take ARCKY and then create a FARCKY and then someone edits the FIARKY..

Me: {OMG. Someone shoot me now. It's 4pm on Friday!}

Him: {animated}... so you can see, this is a whole new way of building the functionality which I think will be a big improvement!

Me: {if I hung up, could I say we got disconnected and not have him figure it out? Is he seriously proposing a brand new technical design - of something we've been discussing for 4 months - on a Friday at 4pm? And really expecting an answer? Is he realy presenting a brand new design on Friday at 4pm and thinking he is going to get approval to change things at this point? Is this person insane? Then I realize this is a person who thinks it's normal to begin a conversation with: I have a number of things to talk to you about, but right now I only have time for 1. Just start off with the 1! }

I think we need to think about it, is all I could muster in response. I'm too tired for this crap.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home